RE: For those of us coming late to the party...

> > Here's my FAQ.
> >
> > There are apparently several versions of the server, that work in
> > different ways.  After looking at the FAW and the mail archive, I've
> > yet to see a concise description of what my options are as an
> > end-user.  This is confusing to the uninitiated.
> >
> > It seems there are several versions:
> >
> >    a DirectX version
> this is the XFree86 integrated version
> >    a GGI version
> >    a version integrated into XFree86-4.0.1
> this uses DirectX
> >    a version that based on VNC
> This is a VNC Server - standard in XFree86 now.

NO, VNC server was never part of XFree86 and cannot be part of XFree86
source base. VNC server code is owned by AT&T and source code
distributed under GPL, of which many terms contradicts X Consortium License.
You can use a GL'ed tool, to compile xfree86, but any code to be merged into
XFree86 source base should not be under GPL or LGPL.

It allows a VNC client to
> connect to the server for remote display. It's also useful if you want to
> keep your X session active whilst you move between PC's. The VNC
> developers
> run a really neat lab with proximity badges activating
> terminals.. but this

The X-server in contrib directory is drived from VNC code, but it has
nothing
from XFree86, except X11R6.3 libraries.  Therefore its source code is
completely separate
and in contrib directory.  The X-servers in contrib directory are not our
priority servers.
They are provided as a substitute to Windows 95/98 users, if/when the
16-bite code issues
will be fixed or Win Me will enventually wipe out Win95/98 in future.

> is off-topic :-]
> >    a version I don't know about
> hmm neither do I
> >    (some of these are probably the same)
> >
> > How many versions are there?
> Suhaib - this ones yours
> > Which ones run in a M$ window, and which are fullscreen-only?

Only XFree86 is a fullscreen mode.

> The MI/X or GGI servers can run MS windowed. You could use the VNC Server
> and a windows VNC client to achieve the same.

GGI/XGGI are not supported any more.  Joh OFrtin left the project and we
do not have expertise to support GGI libraries.  They are there for users
who know how to use them and who knows how to trouble-shoot by searching
mail archives.

> > What bit-depths are supported for each version?
> DirectX/XFree86 - 8bit no, 16-yes, 32-bit YMMV.

All the bits are coded, but xf_dx.dll will give strange colors at 32 bit
mode and
more then 256 colors.  This problem will be fixed in future releases adn
patches.

> > How do I start that version?
> Which version?

I would really not bother about X-servers in contrib directorya dn XGGI.
Version concerns only XFree86 and it version 4.0.1.  We will be providing
new
versions releases whenever XFree86 Inc will release a new version.

> > What package should I download?  What supporting packages are needed?
> How-to with details on this is coming soon.
> > What compiler was used?
> GCC 2.95.2 / Cygwin

This is all already covered.  Whoever is raising these questions should
first READ
web pages before jumping to his terminal and start asking blah questions.

> > It would be cool if there were a chart with this kind of information
> > in the FAQ.

Tell the user MAKE A CHART which he likes and hang it.  Is there a chart for
Xfree86 on XFree86 Inc URL or a chart for Cygwin or Cygwin main URL.  If he
is mathmatician, he can make his own pie charts the way he likes.  I see no
sense
for this.

Suhaib